Webber Wentzel is one of the leading corporate law firms in Africa.
Our strategy is to help our clients wherever they do business on the continent and we are currently advising clients in over 40 African countries.
Webber Wentzel is associated with ALN, an independent alliance of leading African law firms, which currently includes 12 members in Botswana, Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mauritius, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia.
How we work in Africa
We are able to offer clients access to our respective practice area expertise; jurisdiction and language skills; industry knowledge and on-the- ground experience. We achieve this through a combination of:
- our leading market reputation
- our extensive knowledge and understanding of various industry sectors
- our relationships with the strongest commercial law firms in Africa through ALN and our network of ‘best friend’ law firms
- our on-the-ground experience conducting deals on the African continent
- our ability to offer one point of contact to handle transactions over multiple jurisdictions
- Africa experts with English and South African law qualifications, as well as lawyers qualified in various African jurisdictions
- multilingual capabilities including a variety of African and European languages.
Our Africa specialists have an intimate understanding of the complexities of doing business on the African continent.
- Many of our team members come from, or have worked in, Africa and understand how business operates in these countries
- We travel regularly and extensively on the continent and have developed networks of local business contacts
- We understand the cultural and political risks that affect business and strive to reduce or eliminate those risks
- We spend a considerable amount of time and effort cultivating our relationships with the leading law firms in Africa to understand these firms’ strengths and capabilities
- We have a number of ‘best friend’ firms in each jurisdiction to enable us to select the most appropriate firm in each country to suit the demands of the transaction
- We enjoy close relationships with regulators in many countries and are thus able to steer our clients through the challenges of an investment in these regulated environments
- Within ALN, our practice groups share know-how and experience for the benefit of our clients
As a law firm based in Africa we have easy access to our clients and their markets and are considered legal counterparts by fellow African law firms with whom we work in partnership.
Understanding our clients' businesses and the environments in which they operate is key to our strategy of building close relationships and fostering partnerships with them. We have specialist expertise in the following sectors:
- Agribusiness, Food & Beverage
- Construction & Engineering
- Energy & Infrastructure
- Financial Services
- Oil & Gas
- Private Equity
- Telecommunications, Media & Technology
ALN firms are committed to working together to provide extensive coverage and on-the-ground experience. ALN has members in the following jurisdictions:
- Botswana: Collins Newman & Co
- Burundi: Mabushi Chambers (No longer ALN)
- Ethiopia: Mesfin Tafesse & Associates
- Kenya: Anjarwalla & Khanna
- Madagascar: Madagascar Law Offices
- Malawi: Savjani & Co
- Mauritius: BLC Robert & Associates
- Mozambique: ABCC
- Nigeria: G. Elias & Co
- Rwanda: K-Solutions & Partners
- Sudan: Omer Ali Law Firm
- Tanzania: ATZ Law Chambers
- Uganda: MMAKS Advocates
- Zambia: Musa Dudhia & Company
For more information on ALN please visit www.africalegalnetwork.com.
Cross Border Groups
Cross Border Groups (CBGs) across the ALN firms promote closer working relationships and better client service. Teams of lawyers in key practice areas across all ALN firms have been assembled to develop tailor-made solutions for cross border deals. Collaboration across the group helps with knowledge sharing and developing best practice.