Webber Wentzel's dedicated litigation and arbitration group specialises in complex, multi-jurisdictional, commercial, regulatory and constitutional disputes. We provide advice to national and multi-national corporations, financial institutions and government entities.
Our multi-disciplinary and innovative Dispute Resolution Practice ensures that clients receive relevant, timely and effectual advice. Our extensive expertise in litigation, arbitration, conciliation, mediation, negotiation and other means of pre-empting and settling disputes enables our clients to obtain optimal results.
The team comprises some 60 professionals, with local and foreign qualifications and expertise. With offices located in Johannesburg and Cape Town and as a member of the ALN Group, Webber Wentzel is able to assist clients doing business and encountering disputes in South Africa, Africa and globally. We have a network of associate law firms, in countries throughout the world, which assists us in providing comprehensive legal advice. We regularly resolve trans-national disputes, often acting as lead counsel in foreign jurisdictions.
Our wider expertise includes dispute resolution and opinion work in relation to:
- corporate disputes, including claims arising from joint venture and shareholder agreements, sales of business or shares, franchise, distribution, black economic empowerment transactions, as well as regulatory enquiries and investigations;
- corporate governance issues;
- intellectual property litigation, interdicts and criminal prosecution relating to unlawful competition, restraints of trade, trademark and copyright infringements;
- financial and banking law;
- mineral and petroleum law, encompassing prospecting, mining, exploration and production rights disputes and objections, administrative appeals and judicial review;
- disputes relating to black economic empowerment transactions;
- commercial arbitration and mediation, both domestic and international;
- investment treaties and international law, including arbitration under bilateral and multilateral investment treaties and international law advice;
- financial distress, restructuring and recovery law, including sequestration, liquidation, curatorship, administration, debt restructuring and corporate re-organisation;
- all labour disputes, including disciplinary proceedings, employee benefits and executive dismissals;
- constitutional and administrative law including disputes with industry regulators, judicial reviews of administrative and executive action, challenging the constitutionality of legislation and regulations, procurement disputes, expropriations and bill of rights litigation;
- defending and instituting class actions, with a particular emphasis on mass tort claims;
- major construction and engineering disputes;
- disputes involving pension funds, pension fund administrators, regulators, investment managers and other financial institutions;
- all aspects of media and communications law, covering defamation and privacy litigation, proceedings of specialist tribunals, disputes with regulators, and information technology law;
- particular experience in litigation in the healthcare industry, including disputes involving medical schemes, pharmaceutical industry and managed care services;
- environmental law; and
- tax litigation (including alternative dispute resolution), specifically the lodging of objections and noting of appeals against tax assessments raised by the Commissioner for the South African Revenue Service.
We act for clients in a wide variety of local and international commercial sectors, including banking, mining and petroleum resources, manufacturing and engineering services, information technology, private equity, healthcare, insurance, transport, maritime, real estate, investment, pensions, government services, broadcasting and telecommunications, retail, professional services, catering, hospitality, gaming and entertainment.
We have long-standing professional relationships with:
Blue Chip Companies
Government and Regulatory Bodies
Prominent Non-governmental Organisations
For more information please click here to read the section on "Dispute Resolution" in Investing in South Africa.
- Tuesday, 6 June 2017 | Law and the digital era- driving value and gaining efficiency in information management and disclosure. RVSP
- Thursday, 8 June 2017 | Advances in international arbitration in South Africa and Sub-Saharan Africa. RSVP
- Wednesday, 29 March 2017 | Public protector report, Gordhan in court and more.