Our media and communications law team comprises lawyers at the forefront of the multi-media industry and are regarded as leaders in their field in respect of all aspects of media and communications law.
The team specialises in advising and litigating in defamation and privacy law, all aspects of information law (including access to information and court proceedings; data protection law and the law relating to confidential information), advertising law, telecommunications and broadcasting law, copyright law, entertainment law, and constitutional and administrative law.
We act for plaintiffs and defendants in specialist tribunals (including the Advertising Standards Authority, the Broadcasting Complaints Commission and the Press Council) as well as the High Court, the Supreme Court of Appeal, and the Constitutional Court. Our clients include leading daily and weekly news publications, cartoonists, corporations, television production companies, prominent individuals and celebrities and broadcasters.
- Acting for Mail & Guardian, Independent Newspapers and Media 24 in an application to access the refugee appeal board hearing of a public figure, Radovan Krejcir.
- Acting for Business Day, Business Report, Business Times, Summit TV and The Financial Mail in intervening in a Supreme Court of Appeal case in regard to whether corporations can sue for defamation.
- Making submissions to Parliament on the Protection of Information Bill, which seeks to regulate state secrets.
- Acting for Mail & Guardian in a Constitutional Court appeal by the Office of the Presidency in relation to access to the Khampepe-Moseneke report on the Zimbabwe elections.
- Successfully obtaining details of tenders issued by the FIFA Local Organising Committee in relation to the 2010 World Cup.
- Acting for MTN in various advertising complaints brought by and against it by its competitor, Cell C, before the Advertising Standards Authority of South Africa.
- Acting for Media 24, Independent Newspapers and the South African National Editors' Forum in bringing a successful application in the North Gauteng High Court on circuit in Ventersdorp for access to the media in the murder trial of Eugene Terre'Blanche, the former leader of the AWB.
- Representing the world-renowned cartoonist Zapiro and various media groups in defamation litigation brought by President Jacob Zuma.
- Assisting domestic and international clients with all aspects of data protection law.