Scott is a partner in the Banking and Finance Practice of Webber Wentzel, with over 12 years' experience in banking and finance. In 2009 Scott returned to South Africa from London where he practised for three years at Allen & Overy LLP in their banking and finance department.
Scott has represented a wide range of parties in South African, African and UK domestic and cross-border bilateral and syndicated transactions, with particular experience in financing assets in the transportation industries (ships, aircraft and rolling stock). His experience includes Export Credit Agency (ECA) supported financings, high value taxed-based and non tax-based lease structures, lease portfolio transfers/reorganisations, limited recourse financing, receivables financing and off-balance sheet structures.
In the aviation sector, Scott has advised banks, lessors, airlines and ECAs across the full spectrum of aviation finance deals including secured loan financing, operating leasing, engine financing, manufacturer support and export credit transactions.
In the rail sector, Scott has advised TOC's, ROSCO's, financiers, export credit agencies, manufacturers, governments, state owned entities and various public and other regulatory bodies across the full spectrum of rail finance and rail procurement transactions, including the financing, leasing and maintenance arrangements in connection with such transactions.
Areas of expertise
Asset finance (aviation, rail and shipping)
General banking and debt finance
- Advising Aircastle Limited on the leasing of six new Airbus A330-200 Aircraft to South African Airways.
- Advising the European ECAs, CIT Aerospace, Wells Fargo, RBS, JP Morgan and the other finance parties in relation to the US$265million ECA supported financing and leasing of one Boeing 737-800 aircraft, to South African Airways.
- Advising US Ex-Im Bank and FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its Rand Merchant Bank division) in relation to the ZAR1.2billion ECA supported financing of 2 Boeing 737-800 aircraft for Comair Limited.
- Advising Aircastle Limited and CIT Aerospace on the South African law aspects of the sale and purchase of one Airbus A330-200 aircraft on lease to South African Airways.
- Advising Magellan Aviation on the South African law aspects of the sale and purchase of one Boeing 737-800 aircraft on lease to Comair Limited.
- Advising GECAS on the leasing of one Boeing 737-800 aircraft to Comair Limited.
- Advising GECAS on the leasing of one Embraer ERJ 145LR to Solenta Aviation.
- Advising ICBC Leasing and RBS Aerospace in relation to the South African law aspects of the lease novation of two Airbus 319-100 aircraft on lease to South African Airways.
- Advising various lessors and financiers in relation to the National Industrial Participation Programme and other procurement law considerations in an aviation context.
- Advising AWG, other global aviation groups, financiers and lessors on the status, implementation and various other regulatory aspects of the Cape Town Convention in South Africa.
- Advising Anglo American on the sale and purchase of various corporate aircraft including the chartering and related aviation activities relating thereto.
- Advising Transnet SOC Limited and various subsidiaries on the ZAR2.7billion procurement of 95 new dual electric Class 20E locomotives from CSR Zhouzhou Electric Locomotives Co. Ltd.
- Advising The Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa on its ZARR120billion passenger rail fleet renewal and expansion programme.
- Advising US Ex-Im Bank and the lenders on the ZAR1.2billion financing of 50 new Class C30-ACi diesel electric locomotives for Transnet SOC Limited.
- Advising Transnet SOC Limited and various subsidiaries on the ZAR1.9billion procurement of 43 new Class C30-ACi diesel electric locomotives.
- Advising The Standard Bank of South Africa (as Mandated Lead Arranger) on the US$27million ECIC supported financing of 14 locomotives by RRL Grindrod SL2 Limited including the use and leasing thereof in Sierra Leone.
- Advising Transnet Limited and various subsidiaries on the ZAR1,5 billion procurement of 32 new Class 15E locomotives from Mitsui Corporation.
- Advising The Standard Bank of South Africa (as Mandated Lead Arranger) on the US$40million ECIC supported financing of 20 locomotives by RRL Grindrod Limited including the use and leasing thereof in Sierra Leone.
- Advising Transnet Limited and various subsidiaries on the ZAR2,5 billion procurement of 100 new Class C30-ACi diesel locomotives from General Electric.
- Advising De Beers Marine Namibia on the US$80million financing for the purchase of the marine diamond mining vessel "Peace in Africa".
- Advising General Electric and syndicate on the restructuring of its US$300 million senior credit facility for the construction of one FPSO (floating, production, storage and off-loading vessel) as well as its USD400 million limited recourse facility for the construction of one offshore deep sea drilling unit.
- Advising ABN AMRO on the EUR215 million financing of one semi-submersible heavy lifter vessel.
Listed in the 2011 edition of IFLR1000 under Banking