The Media and Technology Department has acted as counsel to a large number of South African and multinational telecommunications operators in respect of their telecommunication activities in South Africa and abroad. While the department has a particular focus and expertise in mobile cellular services, broadcasting signal distribution and mobile broadband Internet access services, our additional areas of expertise include advising on:
- regulatory laws pertaining to telecommunications;
- regulatory laws pertaining to satellite signal distribution, broadband radio, and global mobile personal communication by satellite;
- regulatory laws pertaining to satellite and terrestrial broadcast signal distribution, television subscription services, sound broadcasting services, broadcasting support services, and multi-channel distribution services;
- regulatory laws pertaining to radio frequency spectrum and radio station licensing;
- fair competition regulatory processes and market access remedies available to service providers;
- the scope of telecommunication licence authorities, licence applications and defending complaints against telecommunication service licensees;
- interconnection agreements, facilities leasing agreements and related commercial and regulatory issues as well as operational agreements between operators and service providers, commercial contracts and service level agreements;
- regulatory requirements of broadcasters in respect of broadcasting service licences, defending complaints against broadcast licensees, and defending broadcasting clients in the applicable broadcasting complaints forums.
In association with European attorneys, the department has also undertaken a comprehensive study on market access into Telecommunications in South Africa on behalf of the European Union.