Chambers Global 2023 Band 1 ranking positions Webber Wentzel's insurance team as a leader in the South African insurance practice group.
Webber Wentzel's insurance team has been recognised in Chambers Global 2023 Band 1 ranking, establishing the practice group as a market leader in South Africa. This ranking underscores the team's exceptional capabilities and outstanding performance in the insurance industry.
"Being ranked in Band 1 by Chambers Global is an incredible honour and is a great reflection of the hard work and dedication our team puts into creating value for our clients," says Maria Philippides, partner. "We are proud of our achievements and are committed to continuously providing our clients with innovative and effective solutions to their legal challenges."
This ranking is a significant achievement for the team as it is a true testament to their unwavering commitment to delivering exceptional services and their dedication to maintaining a high standard of excellence in the insurance practice group.
In terms of its insurance offering, Webber Wentzel provides a multi-disciplinary service offering to insurance companies, reinsurance companies, intermediaries, and the insured. With their extensive experience and in-depth knowledge and understanding of the insurance sector, the insurance team is able to expertly advise its clients in a highly regulated, competitive, and complex environment.
They service insurance clients with portfolios that span several sectors, including but not limited to financial services, transport, engineering, mining and minerals, manufacturing, information technology, healthcare, broadcasting and telecommunications, retail, professional services, hospitality, and entertainment, where they have been actively engaged in providing their services.
As a full one-stop shop for all things insurance, the team remains committed to providing their clients with the highest level of service, delivering innovative and effective solutions to their legal challenges while working with the firm's alliance partner, Linklaters, and relationship firms across Africa.
Find out more about the Insurance Team's expertise.
Amongst other matters, the team has advised on contentious, non-contentious insurance and re-insurance matters such as:
- All regulatory aspects relevant to M&A transactions and restructurings of major insurance groups and insurance conglomerates.
- Product structuring, regulatory compliance and all issues which affect insurance companies.
- A multitude of insurance disputes in both property and casualty insurance. We regularly advise insurers on coverage issues.
- Drafting a wide range of policy documents and contracts for insurance companies.
- Providing advice on key developments in the insurance industry.
- Blockchain, smart contracts and distributed ledger technologies. We are also able to assist with all IP-associated issues related to fintech. Besides, we have advised on mitigating legal and regulatory risks related to insurance technology.
- Providing advice to insurers and intermediaries on cyber risks, breaches, and liability.
- Providing advice on the Financial Intelligence Centre Act (FICA) and the prevention of money laundering.
- Providing advice on the impact of group supervision for significant owners, and compliance with governance requirements imposed by regulators.
- Acted for various role players in a number of matters involving the interpretation of non-damage business interruption contagious and infectious disease extensions. In particular, we have advised numerous reinsurers (mainly international reinsurers but also those with a local presence), on the response of their treaties with local insurers regarding claims of aggregation of Covid-19 losses.
About Chambers Global
Chambers Global's rankings are based on extensive research and interviews with clients, peers, and industry experts, making this recognition a true reflection of the quality of Webber Wentzel's insurance team's work and the level of satisfaction its clients have with its services.
This article was first published in